I’ve noticed recently that there seems to be a good deal of confusion over the functionality and programming of the silent monitoring feature on the later revision (6.1 and above) Norstar MICS and CICS units. Hopefully this entry will be able to help clarify some of the questions that are most frequently asked about this. Please note that this is NOT the Norstar Callpilot Call center monitoring – this is only for the KSU available monitoring accessible by your Configuration password.
First, an acknowledgment – Thanks to Sam for his insight into this issue.
1. Silent monitoring is not available on any system with software revision lower than MICS/CICS 6.1.
2. Silent monitoring is only available for Incoming calls to a Hunt Group.
3. In order to have silent monitoring on a CICS, The unit must be equipped with a 3 digit DN length in order to enable hunt groups.
4. Lines cannot appear on the telephone sets in the monitored group, Lines will appear and ring in the Hunt Group.
5. calls must be answered using the hunt group soft key (HG: #).
6. The monitored set is unable to tell which line it is answering.
7. All calls to be transferred must be completed by: 1) Camp-on, 2) Call Park, or 3) Transfer to Voicemail (if available).
8. Monitoring Supervisors must have a two line display telephone with Soft Keys. (M7324, M7310, or T7316/T7316e)
To Program Silent Monitoring:
Go to System Programming / Feature Setting-
Next to Silent Mon and change from default to Yes.
Go to System Programming / Hospitality
Next to SM sets: (enter quantity, default is 5).
Go to Terminals & Sets (enter station # of each Supervisor).
Next to Capabilities / SM Supv. and change to yes.
Go to System Programming / Hunt Groups
Show HG1 : (HG1: DN#)
Show Member DNs
Add/Remove members (enter member DNs to be monitored)
To monitor or join Calls:
Supervisor will enter Feature 550 , and the monitoring password, then the station DN# to monitor.
The word “join” will appear in the display above a soft key. Press the associated soft key to enter the conversation.
If you have any problems please email me at firstname.lastname@example.org or call (800) 742-9126.